Sunday, September 5, 2010

The First in a Series of Posts

So I haven't blogged at all recently, but all of a sudden I have a bunch of things to say, so I'm going to spread them out over a few posts as opposed to one big gigantic uber-post.
This one is about my life! Subjects to come: Beer, Music, Kurt Vonnegut

So,
I moved to Boston.
That actually happened! Yay!
I arrived in Connecticut, and stayed with my family for about a week, seeing everyone and slowly moving my stuff up to my apartment in Boston, but about 2 weeks ago I took the whole plunge and made my permanent move up.
My apartment is nice. Its small, and only really has two rooms, but its good enough for me. I would like some more counter space, and maybe some more storage, but I really can't complain. Its going to work out just fine for me.

I also joined the Boston College "Screaming Eagles" Marching Band, so I had a full Band Camp experience for 10 consecutive days. That was incredibly exhausting, with me re-learning how to march and stuff. It was really long too, from 9am to 11pm every day. But at least they fed us, so not paying for food for that whole time was nice.
Its also interesting being at a school with a large, well-respected marching band that gets support and has facilities and all of the normal things bands should have, but that UCI does not. Like I have a band locker to store my trumpet. Thats a new concept. But the people are cool, and apparently never heard a trumpet player hit high notes before, so I get basically free reign on taking things up and stuff.
We had our first game on Saturday, which was quite the experience. I wake up at 7:30 to get to school by 8:45. I have to ride my bike so that tacks on some extra time there. First we eat breakfast, (Provided) then go out on the field for a quick rehearsal, then come back and do a "team walk" where the band marches around campus, through all the dorms and everything, meets up with the football team, and marches into the stadium.
Then we went back to the band room, eat lunch (provided again...) change into our uniforms and go warm up for our little pep rally thing we do. THis pep rally thing is basically the band standing on the steps outside the band room (which is adjacent to the football stadium) and play some pep tunes for the people that gather there. And people come and listen! They aren't just like "Meh, band, whatever..." People think its cool and come and hang out.
Also there is a whole shitload of tailgating thats going on, so thats kinda cool to watch. Its like actually being at a college gameday, as opposed to game day at UCI where only the band and the athletes know that there is a game going on.
Anyways, after that, we go march into the stadium, and play our little pre-game set, go into the stands, play for the game, do a halftime show, finish off the game and then go home.
Odd things about BC Football:
Their student section are called the "Superfans" and they all have yellow t-shirts that say "BC Superfan" on them.
BC colors are technically Maroon and Gold, but all of that red and gold I see still makes me uncomfortable, because, FUCK USC.
During touchdowns the superfans like to crowd-surf. In stadium bleachers. Its really safe and intelligent....
The fans fucking love the band, and shout out songs they want to hear. Like they know what songs we play, and want to hear certain ones, and they have dances and stuff they made up to go along with some of the songs we play.

So yea, thats about it for Band, I haven't started any of my grad student-y stuff yet, so it almost feels like I'm an undergrad still, but I have faith that it will all change and I will want to kill myself with all the work that I have to do soon.

I went grocery shopping today, and had to take the train/subway. It was weird not having a car to throw all of my crap into.

But I cooked my first real meal in my apartment today. Lemon-pepper chicken with tomatoes and onions over pasta. Yea, you're jealous of my skills...

So now I don't have anything really big to do until thursday. I mean I have band on tuesday, but its not really that big of a deal, just a few hours at night. I kinda want to go explore Boston, but I don't know where to start. Well, I'll figure that out tomorrow.

Thats pretty much it. I'm excited for grad school to start, and I hope I'm not getting too over my head, but whatever. It'll work out!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

holy cow, students come to athletic events, recognize the band, and on top of all this, the music department supports you?

what is this fantasy world you live in stefan...

Allison Peale said...

So are we going to see a picture of you in your Screaming Eagle band uniform?

also SHEEP! ..... I mean PASSI!