Sunday, August 15, 2010

Stefan's Shipping off to Boston: Day 6 the Final installment, This time it's serious.

My final day of driving, and it couldn't come soon enough. It was interesting and even a bit fun, but waking up and driving 8 hours a day really takes its toll.
So today the day started in North East, Pennsylvania. Thats the actual town name BTW. North East. Yea odd. Anyway, it was an 8 hour drive on little 2 lane New England highways. These highways are cool because they wind through the hills and mountains, surrounded by forests and whatnot. This makes them really pretty.
The downside however, is that they are only 2 lane roads and if there is any construction or anything, they slow to a standstill. And that happened just before I crossed the border from New York to Connecticut. We came to a screeching halt, and I just sat on the road, moving in car length intervals for a good 45 minutes, maybe even an hour. After sitting there, and listening to a whole album, I was like, screw it. So I got off as soon as I could, and decided to attempt to find a detour around this construction.
Next thing I know, i'm driving pretty much randomly around this little town. So I just decided to head easterly, and try to find the highway again. Surprisingly, it worked out pretty well. I didn't get too lost and I feel like I found the freeway and got back on the road faster than I would have if I just stayed in the traffic.
Another part of this drive was the rain. It rained 7 out of the 8 hours I was on the road. I basically followed the rain from Chicago to Connecticut.
But finally, after 6 long days of driving, I made it to my grandmothers house in East Hartford, CT.
It is worth noting at this point, that my family is crazy. I arrive to the beginnings of what would be a flurry of chaos and excitement. Within minutes of my arrival, basically all of my family is at my grandmother's house, and we are grilling corn and steak, cooking lobsters in beer kegs (an interesting operation that involves mounting a modified keg on a propane burner, putting water in the keg, and dropping lobsters into it), and mounting all sorts of chaos. It was awesome.
Anyway, I'm gonna wrap up my last blog, with a “what I learned sort of thing”
1) Nebraska Sucks. Never go there. I'm never going back.
2) I do well at long drives. I sort of knew that before, as I've driven long distances before, but knowing that I was able to drive all the way across the country by myself is pretty cool.
3) I like blogging. I'm gonna keep doing it. Not as regularly, but I want to keep it up.
4) I'm feeling better and better about moving to Boston. I was a worried and a bit nervous, but having this extended amount of time to think made me more confident in my decision.

I will have an epilogue with all of the final tallies of mileage and MPG and stuff like that in a bit. I'm going to enjoy my time relaxing in CT first though.

1 comment:

Ben Rehling said...

Fuck Nebraska...try driving through Utah. 245 miles at one point with the only rest stop being a small 6 foot tube with toilet in it on the side of the road...horrible. Glad you made it!