Wednesday, November 3, 2010

What I'm Eating: Classic Mac and Cheese

So after experimenting a little last time, I decided to go back to making something a bit more classic, and simple. Mac and Cheese! I was also craving it at the time, so there is that too.

You will need:
Butter-About 2 tbs
Flour-About 2tbs as well
Milk-About 2 cups, but you can eyeball it.
Cheese-Lots of it!
Pasta- I use about ¾ of a pound and its REALLY cheesy, and you end up with a bit of extra sauce. But thats not a bad thing!
Any veggies you care to add, I like peas.

Its actually a really simple recipe. Make a basic Cream Sauce, add cheese, pour over pasta. Eat!

So a cream sauce is basically just thickened milk.

First, put on some nice Prog-Rock. You are gonna need some good cooking music. You can't go wrong with some King Crimson, but I'm feeling some Mahavishnu Orchestra. Get that going nice and loud so you can rock out and cook. At the same time!

NOW!

Start of with a nice mid-sized saucepan.
Melt the butter in the bottom of the pan. Once its all nice an melted add in the flour.
You are looking for a nice 1-1 ratio of flour to butter here. You want all of the flour to be completely coated/dissolved in the butter, with none left over, so tweak accordingly. I trust you.

Once you have that, add in the milk.
Keep this over the heat, stirring basically constantly until its almost about to boil. You DON'T want to boil this milk. It creates a milk-disaster. Trust me. I've cleaned up many a milk-disaster kitchens.

This should be getting pretty thick as the temperature increases and the flour dissolves.

Once you are at a nice heat (don't worry if it isn't as thick as you want your sauce, the cheese adds a lot of thickness) you can start adding the cheese.
I sure hope you grated it ahead of time, or have the big bag of pre-grated lazy-man's cheese. If you don't, PANIC! AHH! HOLY CRAP EVERYTHING IS GOING TO EXPLODE....
Or not. (Remove from heat, grate cheese, put back on heat. Continue...)
Now add cheese. Lots and lots and lots and lots of cheese. Pretty much anything and everything works. In mine I added Cheddar, Monterey Jack, and Parmesan. It was super tasty. Use what you like!

Add the cheese in handful by handful stirring constantly.
This is my favorite part, I love melting the cheese...
Now stir this until all of the cheese is melted and you have a nice consistancy.
Here you are pretty much done! See, I told you it was easy.
At this point you can add any veggies, (peas... do it, you mother always said to eat your veggies, and what better what that covered in delicious cheese!) And some seasonings. I like to add some fresh black pepper. Makes it tasty.

Now, put your pasta in a bowl, top with cheese sauce and chow down! Its super good!

Variation I haven’t tried yet:
Adding beer.
You should be able to add a nice dark beer to this cheese sauce to give it some extra flavors, but I haven't figured that out yet. Need to do some more research. I keep drinking the beer before I can put it in the sauce..

Let me know how it turns out!

No comments: